My Real $ Portfolio Trading Results

CLICK HERE




JUSTINLENT.COM focuses on 4 things...

#1. Direction-Neutral Options Trading
#2. Uncorrelated Trading Strategies
#3. Directional Futures Trading
#4. Strategies for Speculation


...and if that doesn't excite you... well... you're probably better off playing the lottery!



Date Portfolio Value (with Gross P/L) Portfolio Value (with Net P/L)
01-28-06
$100,000
$100,000
02-28-06
102,962
102,038
03-31-06
109,640
107,774
04-14-06
116,013
113,797
05-11-06
123,771
120,680
06-02-06
128,367
124,319
07-02-06
141,640
136,139
07-19-06
146,676
140,798
07-31-06
147,534
141,525
07-31-06
148,532
142,523

The JustinLent.com $100,000 "Paper-Folio"

The "Paper-Folio," started in January 2006, is now profitable:
+42.5% Year-to-date.
CLICK HERE to see the actual trades.
(Excel format available for download.)

I do all my trading at www.ThinkOrSwim.com

***I started paper-trading this strategy as a hobby since I had to stop trading it for my real portfolio due to trading restrictions imposed by my new employer (a large Wall Street firm). I still paper-trade it simply because I'm passionate about options-trading, and I want to keep my hand in it so these trading skills stay sharp***

To see the results I achieved while trading this for 18 months in my real portfolio, click here.

If you're interested in hearing more about the strategy, contact me at: justin@justinlent.com

Speculative Insights & "Paper-Folio" Options Trading

Analysis of the hedging and rebalancing of a "direction-neutral" option portfolio's greeks, as well as insights on directionally trading other *hot* markets.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Random Stock Analysis - MSO - Martha Stewart


You know what looks as juicy as a Ruth's Chris steak?

The MSO MAR2007 20 calls for .95

Yep, that's the symbol for Martha Stewart stock. I think it has bottomed and on the verge of a breakout.

I took down some today for what seems to be a real "cheap" trade for all the potential upside that could come from any one or a combination of the following reasons:

1) Any good news out of the MSO camp would be a welcome change

2) People might start spending more of their discretionary cash to remodel/redecorate their home now that gas prices are down, and MSO could be a decent derivative play off of a housing rebound (Have you noticed the strength in the Homebuilder ETF lately? Symbol: XHB)

3) only about half of the analysts that cover the stock have buy ratings on MSO

4) potential heavy short covering from the nearly 10% of the float that is outstanding

5) Even a non-chartist can see the very solid base at 16 that MSO seems to have broken free of, and held strongly for the past month (starting with the high-volume gap up July 27).

6) Who knows, with that recent newspaper article about Eddie Lampert being on the prowl for another aquisition target... maybe he'll see some value in MSO (he sure as heck has a bit of experience with the brand since MSO products were a stable of Kmart stores)...

7) Current expectations for MSO 2007 revenue is horrible, and any upward revision of guidance will pop the stock from short covering alone. And if MSO benefits from a good holiday shopping season, well, its off to the races for the stock.

I think MSO has the potential to trade to 25-26 by next March turning these .95 cent calls into a potential 5 bagger. Wouldn't buy common stock though, too much headline risk for that.

For those of you who can short stock, it might be a good play to short a little bit of common against the calls on any run ups above the 22-23 area... and trade around it.

Full disclosure: I'm long the MSO MAR07 20 calls

(Ordinarily I don't trade options because I have a 60-day holding period requirement imposed by my employer for anything I trade in my personal account, but since this trade goes out 6 months I decided to go for it-I don't see any real short-term catalyst, I just thought the options were "cheap" considering the risk/reward profile I feel is available in the trade.)

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

You are visitor # :

papertrading, stock trading, stocks, options, iron condor, diagonal, double diagonal, spread, calendar spread, butterfly, butterfly spread, butterflies, delta neutral, delta-neutral, gamma, vega, theta, time decay, gamma scalping, option trading. thinkorswim, think or swim, "Justin Lent", justinlent, Justin Gene Lent, Santa Clara University, SCU MBA, Wall Street, wallstreet, SCU Finance, S.C.U., iron spreads, absolute return strategy, options strategy, option trading strategy, option portfolio, option strategies, options strategies, stock option, stock options, index option, index options, S&P 500, S&P500, Russell 2000, Russell2000, trading the S&P500, trading the S&P 500, S&P500 futures, S&P 500 futures contract trading, daytrading, day trading, swingtrading, swing trading, day trader, daytrader, intraday trading, intra-day trading, futures trading, index futures