My Real $ Portfolio Trading Results

CLICK HERE




JUSTINLENT.COM focuses on 4 things...

#1. Direction-Neutral Options Trading
#2. Uncorrelated Trading Strategies
#3. Directional Futures Trading
#4. Strategies for Speculation


...and if that doesn't excite you... well... you're probably better off playing the lottery!



Date Portfolio Value (with Gross P/L) Portfolio Value (with Net P/L)
01-28-06
$100,000
$100,000
02-28-06
102,962
102,038
03-31-06
109,640
107,774
04-14-06
116,013
113,797
05-11-06
123,771
120,680
06-02-06
128,367
124,319
07-02-06
141,640
136,139
07-19-06
146,676
140,798
07-31-06
147,534
141,525
07-31-06
148,532
142,523

The JustinLent.com $100,000 "Paper-Folio"

The "Paper-Folio," started in January 2006, is now profitable:
+42.5% Year-to-date.
CLICK HERE to see the actual trades.
(Excel format available for download.)

I do all my trading at www.ThinkOrSwim.com

***I started paper-trading this strategy as a hobby since I had to stop trading it for my real portfolio due to trading restrictions imposed by my new employer (a large Wall Street firm). I still paper-trade it simply because I'm passionate about options-trading, and I want to keep my hand in it so these trading skills stay sharp***

To see the results I achieved while trading this for 18 months in my real portfolio, click here.

If you're interested in hearing more about the strategy, contact me at: justin@justinlent.com

Speculative Insights & "Paper-Folio" Options Trading

Analysis of the hedging and rebalancing of a "direction-neutral" option portfolio's greeks, as well as insights on directionally trading other *hot* markets.

Monday, July 31, 2006

Up, Down, and Back Again...


PORTFOLIO GREEKS
(SPX beta-weighted)
Delta: 27.7
Gamma: 1.9
Theta: -119
Vega: 457
"Paper-folio" Value: $141,525

Up, Down and Back Again--for the S&P that is... The portfolio did nothing but go straight up this month. Love that! Made a sweet 5.5% net after all commish.

The S&P ended the month just about where it started the month eventhough it bounced around all over the place for 29 days in between! (See right-hand portion of chart.) After the first week of July the S&P sold off hard into the end of week 2, then it did a typical V-return to high manuever--it's really surprising how often stocks/indexes retest the old breakdown price level after reaching a short-term maximum level of "oversold-ness", but it happens consistently time and again. Also, interesting to note is how, once again (no surprise again either) that the chart held up its symettrics.

Many times if something sells off, for say 2 weeks, then it will take an equivalent time (2 weeks) to retest the high that it broke down from, forming a very symmetric looking chart--and is where the name "V-bottom" comes from. People consistently think this stuff is random, voodoo, mumbo jumbo. Hardly, it occurs time and time again and is really just a consequence of traders fear and greed acting out in equal and opposite directions. At the very least, I always expect at least a 50-60% retracement in a very short time period--again ONLY after a max oversold reading occurs on my oscillator) Sometimes if it's a real hard and and deep move down, it will take about 30% longer in time for the move up to retest the old breakdown point, making the right side of the "V" a little longer than the left side. I love how the psychology of market participants reeks of Newtonian Physics at times--namely how fear and greed often result in equivalent moves in opposite directions after having reached their illogical extremes! And this reason, to a certain extent, is why the market is so easily gameable especially at particular points in time AND price. Ok, enough of the philosophical digression...

Today, July 31, I basically closed out every one of my short options today, as well as some of the long options that were worth over .75

The paper-folio made a decent killing this month--netting over 5% profit--eventhough I didn't trade much, and tied up less than 30% of my portfolio in margin the whole time--the other 70%just sat in cash mostly. The options positions I had going into the month with good vega and theta across the backmonths did a great job of dampening the delta-neutral portfolio's volatility during the mid-month roller coaster ride. From what I can recall the portfolio only had 2 or 3 losing days, and the rest of the days were at least slightly profitable. Today it even made $695 dollars profit! Options Rule!

I'm OK staying out of any positions ahead of the Fed meeting next week--no sense trying to gamble on that. I may buy some butterflies way outta the money a day or two ahead of the meeting in order to catch a quick double if volatility picks up again and the S&P breaks out of its range either up or down. Other than that, I'm content to sit on the sidelines, and just earn some good interest on this huge cash position I have now of about $140,000 bucks.

The greeks shown above are purely the aggregate total of the remaining long options that are way OTM that I'm willing to let ride--Each contract is worth less tha .60, amounting to no more than 1% of my total portfolio's value at this point. If we catch a big move off the Fed next week, these could actually pay off pretty big for the little actual dollar amount I have at risk in them.

Tomorrow is Aug 1, which means I get a nice credit to my account with all the interest I earned in July. This should tack on a few hundred bucks because of how nicely the paper-folio has grown. I'll take it--better than a sharp stick in the eye! And definitely better than gambling on all the Fed shenanigans that are sure to ensue pretty soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

You are visitor # :

papertrading, stock trading, stocks, options, iron condor, diagonal, double diagonal, spread, calendar spread, butterfly, butterfly spread, butterflies, delta neutral, delta-neutral, gamma, vega, theta, time decay, gamma scalping, option trading. thinkorswim, think or swim, "Justin Lent", justinlent, Justin Gene Lent, Santa Clara University, SCU MBA, Wall Street, wallstreet, SCU Finance, S.C.U., iron spreads, absolute return strategy, options strategy, option trading strategy, option portfolio, option strategies, options strategies, stock option, stock options, index option, index options, S&P 500, S&P500, Russell 2000, Russell2000, trading the S&P500, trading the S&P 500, S&P500 futures, S&P 500 futures contract trading, daytrading, day trading, swingtrading, swing trading, day trader, daytrader, intraday trading, intra-day trading, futures trading, index futures