My Real $ Portfolio Trading Results

CLICK HERE




JUSTINLENT.COM focuses on 4 things...

#1. Direction-Neutral Options Trading
#2. Uncorrelated Trading Strategies
#3. Directional Futures Trading
#4. Strategies for Speculation


...and if that doesn't excite you... well... you're probably better off playing the lottery!



Date Portfolio Value (with Gross P/L) Portfolio Value (with Net P/L)
01-28-06
$100,000
$100,000
02-28-06
102,962
102,038
03-31-06
109,640
107,774
04-14-06
116,013
113,797
05-11-06
123,771
120,680
06-02-06
128,367
124,319
07-02-06
141,640
136,139
07-19-06
146,676
140,798
07-31-06
147,534
141,525
07-31-06
148,532
142,523

The JustinLent.com $100,000 "Paper-Folio"

The "Paper-Folio," started in January 2006, is now profitable:
+42.5% Year-to-date.
CLICK HERE to see the actual trades.
(Excel format available for download.)

I do all my trading at www.ThinkOrSwim.com

***I started paper-trading this strategy as a hobby since I had to stop trading it for my real portfolio due to trading restrictions imposed by my new employer (a large Wall Street firm). I still paper-trade it simply because I'm passionate about options-trading, and I want to keep my hand in it so these trading skills stay sharp***

To see the results I achieved while trading this for 18 months in my real portfolio, click here.

If you're interested in hearing more about the strategy, contact me at: justin@justinlent.com

Speculative Insights & "Paper-Folio" Options Trading

Analysis of the hedging and rebalancing of a "direction-neutral" option portfolio's greeks, as well as insights on directionally trading other *hot* markets.

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Index Options Paper-folio Back in Action

PORTFOLIO GREEKS
(SPX beta-weighted)
Delta: -33
Gamma: -4
Theta: 149
Vega: 137
Buying power: ""UPDATE""
"Paper-folio" Value: ""UPDATE""

Why I'm jumping around from Paper-folio to Directional Futures
Decided to start up the paper-folio index options book again, which, incidentally was the original purpose of this blog. If you scroll all the way down the botom of this page, you can see the first post and understand the who, what, when, why of this blog. I digressed into TA of futures contracts partly because I wanted to actually make money trading again rather than just trade the paperfolio. Because of my work restrictions I can no longer trade index options like I would like to, but I can trade certain types of mutual funds. With the proliferation recently of mutual funds creating funds that directly track individual sectors, I decided to jump back into trading oil, gold and stock index futures directionally via these mutual funds that I am not restricted from trading. Just trying to earn an honest buck... even if I gotta deal with the difficulties and inefficiencies of only being able to trade mutual funds-which only price at the close, which forces me to be REALLY right on the timing of my shortterm in-and-outs... its turned out pretty well so far (eventhough the couple trades I have highlighted on this blog have not necessarily turned out as well as the others). My hit rate thus far has been as follows:

Total trades: 24
Total Winners: 19
Total Losers: 5
Avg Winner: +5%
Avg Loser: -6%

Current Directional Trades
I am in 5 directional trades right now-one of which being the short Treasuries trade I analyzed over the past few posts. (UPDATE on this: I shorted more on Friday close. I actually doubled my position size since I was so small in it when I initiated the position-I really like to scale into positions small, particularly when I am playing a counter-trend or mean-reversion trade. My game plan right now is to stop out of 60% of the position on any CLOSE above 108'16 in the 10yr note, and close out the rest on any close above 110. Eventhough I "doubled up," even if I get stopped out of the whole position the total loss will only cost me about 1% of my portfolio-once-again, the benefits of trading "small" and not letting emotions get in the way of things, and letting trades play themselves out.)

Back to Paper-folio Direction-neutral Trading
But, now I am getting the itch again to trade the directional-neutral thing again (even if I cannot immediately make money from it.) I basically just want to keep these skill fresh, and I also feel like it will give me a better all-encompassing feel for understanding the stock index futures market a bit more intimately-such that my directional trading of the S&P500 and Nasdaq via mutual funds will improve in the process.

So, I just started from fresh, a whole new options book in the SPY and IWM (Russell 2000) at the close on Friday, resulting in the following greeks shown at the top of this post.

Positions Opened
Pretty basic stuff here. I put on some iron condors for OCT in both the SPY and IWM. Then I put on a bunch of calendars/diagonals across OCT/NOV and OCT/DECqu (DECqu=December Quarterly option). I used the DECqu because the standard DEC options have not come out yet. The liquidity of the quarterlies have been pretty darn good, so I am not worried too much about it-plus as DEC approaches these quarterlies will begin getting more natural action as people roll their OCT and NOV options to DEC expiration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

You are visitor # :

papertrading, stock trading, stocks, options, iron condor, diagonal, double diagonal, spread, calendar spread, butterfly, butterfly spread, butterflies, delta neutral, delta-neutral, gamma, vega, theta, time decay, gamma scalping, option trading. thinkorswim, think or swim, "Justin Lent", justinlent, Justin Gene Lent, Santa Clara University, SCU MBA, Wall Street, wallstreet, SCU Finance, S.C.U., iron spreads, absolute return strategy, options strategy, option trading strategy, option portfolio, option strategies, options strategies, stock option, stock options, index option, index options, S&P 500, S&P500, Russell 2000, Russell2000, trading the S&P500, trading the S&P 500, S&P500 futures, S&P 500 futures contract trading, daytrading, day trading, swingtrading, swing trading, day trader, daytrader, intraday trading, intra-day trading, futures trading, index futures