My Real $ Portfolio Trading Results

CLICK HERE




JUSTINLENT.COM focuses on 4 things...

#1. Direction-Neutral Options Trading
#2. Uncorrelated Trading Strategies
#3. Directional Futures Trading
#4. Strategies for Speculation


...and if that doesn't excite you... well... you're probably better off playing the lottery!



Date Portfolio Value (with Gross P/L) Portfolio Value (with Net P/L)
01-28-06
$100,000
$100,000
02-28-06
102,962
102,038
03-31-06
109,640
107,774
04-14-06
116,013
113,797
05-11-06
123,771
120,680
06-02-06
128,367
124,319
07-02-06
141,640
136,139
07-19-06
146,676
140,798
07-31-06
147,534
141,525
07-31-06
148,532
142,523

The JustinLent.com $100,000 "Paper-Folio"

The "Paper-Folio," started in January 2006, is now profitable:
+42.5% Year-to-date.
CLICK HERE to see the actual trades.
(Excel format available for download.)

I do all my trading at www.ThinkOrSwim.com

***I started paper-trading this strategy as a hobby since I had to stop trading it for my real portfolio due to trading restrictions imposed by my new employer (a large Wall Street firm). I still paper-trade it simply because I'm passionate about options-trading, and I want to keep my hand in it so these trading skills stay sharp***

To see the results I achieved while trading this for 18 months in my real portfolio, click here.

If you're interested in hearing more about the strategy, contact me at: justin@justinlent.com

Speculative Insights & "Paper-Folio" Options Trading

Analysis of the hedging and rebalancing of a "direction-neutral" option portfolio's greeks, as well as insights on directionally trading other *hot* markets.

Friday, July 07, 2006

High Octane Alpha


PORTFOLIO GREEKS
(SPX beta-weighted)
Delta: 36
Gamma: -2
Theta: 93
Vega: 227
Buying power: $100,265
"Paper-folio" Value: $136,559

Well it sure was nice to have those sell stops below support sitting on my order book this morning in order to take advantage of that late-day market swoon (The exact orders were SELL -2 ES5U at 1277.00 STOP, triggers BUY +1 ES5U at 1271.50 LIMIT, BUY +1 ES5U 1274.00 right before the close). Basically that means I sold short the S&P Sept emini once the S&P Sept futures traded below 1277 then I automatically sent a limit order to cover 1 contract if the S&P Sept emini traded to as low as 1271.50 then just close out the 2nd contract right before the close (so I don't have any overnight directional risk in the futures). The futures trades were profitable $425 and the options book was essentially flat on the day (again helped by the fact that I had positive vega and positive theta going into the day as well as having -6 SPX deltas going into the day with the market going DOWN -9 points).

Not a great looking day for the bulls out there---the futures actually breached yesterdays high briefly, then turned around and took out yesterday's low (and then some!) by the time the market closed (see chart).

While I'm going into the weekend completely flat on my futures positions (closed out all my intraday shorts by the close to take profit), I'll be looking to re-open new intra-day shorts next week on any continued weakness--again, via sell stops below resistance. This strategy (continuing to sell short through support points) is how the paper-folio profited so strongly during the couple of dire sellofffs in May and June. Granted, some of these directional shorts lose money sometimes, but when they are traded properly (in reasonable size compared to the options part of the portfolio to where anyone futures trade isn't going to wipe out profits, but merely chew up a little here and there) they really do reduce a lot of intraday risk.

I really see risk as comprised of 2 components:
Total Risk = Intra-day risk + Overnight risk

I hate overnight risk. Just HATE it. That is why you will see me close out my directional futures trades intraday most of the time. Maybe I'll leave one or two contracts on if I've made a huge profit intraday on a much larger position of 6 or 7 contracts, but 95% of the time I'm flat on my futures book going overnight. I would actually go so far as to say that I embrace intraday risk. Intraday, I'm willing to take more "absolute risk" in dollar for dollar terms. But this is only because I feel like the intraday market is so technically driven (ie: chart patterns and short-term support/resistance technical analysis hold up well intraday), that it is very easy to define stop-loss points and profit taking targets. Since I've learned technical analysis from one of the best (Stan Ehrlich of http://www.stanehrlich.com/ and http://www.chartpattern.com/) I'm very confident in my ability to make the high-probabliity of success intra-day trades in order to scalp intra-day profits when market conditions are favorable (I define "favorable" as any trade that I feel like has a 75% chance of profit, or a futures trade that provides an "equal hedge" to my options book during the intraday timeframe). Since I always enter a stop loss for these short-term directional futures trades, and since I close them out 95% of the time intraday, I don't have any of the gap risk associated with holding positions overnight.

No new options positions today... I'm liking how my greeks are lookin' right now. I'll see how things open next week and decide how to rebalance things at Monday's close.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

You are visitor # :

papertrading, stock trading, stocks, options, iron condor, diagonal, double diagonal, spread, calendar spread, butterfly, butterfly spread, butterflies, delta neutral, delta-neutral, gamma, vega, theta, time decay, gamma scalping, option trading. thinkorswim, think or swim, "Justin Lent", justinlent, Justin Gene Lent, Santa Clara University, SCU MBA, Wall Street, wallstreet, SCU Finance, S.C.U., iron spreads, absolute return strategy, options strategy, option trading strategy, option portfolio, option strategies, options strategies, stock option, stock options, index option, index options, S&P 500, S&P500, Russell 2000, Russell2000, trading the S&P500, trading the S&P 500, S&P500 futures, S&P 500 futures contract trading, daytrading, day trading, swingtrading, swing trading, day trader, daytrader, intraday trading, intra-day trading, futures trading, index futures